Sunday, February 1, 2009

Reflections - Gary.

Time flies; the simple looking at all the photos we took during this heritage trail evoke vivid memories of the places, people, and things I have seen. It felt almost like yesterday that we had took on the three-hour long walk, after the fantastic one-hour of Chicken Bryani (pardon the spelling if need be), roti pratas and teh tarik. Wow. It wasn't just the authentic (it tasted like it) food we ate, for once in quite a while, I realized Singapore isn't that bad a concrete jungle, devoid of any evidences of historical roots, I used to somewhat believe.

I remember that Saturday morning when we all met, and walked out of the Bugis MRT station, across some traffic junction, and there we were we found ourselves standing just opposite some heritage place! The idea was, I probably went past Bugis junction a hundred times, but never once (as far as I can remember) did it occur to me that just nearby was our dear Kampung Glam. haha. One lesson to be learnt? It is to purposefully visit such heritage places in Singapore. Why? Having carried out this trail, I am convinced that exploring your country's history, culture definitely opens your eyes to things you wouldn't see on a normal day to day basis. This isn't about propaganda; it's just making your own life more interesting. After all, what pleasure can catching a hundred movies give you that beats the experience of re-walking the path our ancestors walked?

Caos!

No comments:

Post a Comment